Reply to post: Re: If only they also banned...

Google Chrome ad-blocking to begin in February – but what is it going to block?

bombastic bob Silver badge
Devil

Re: If only they also banned...

If only they also banned:

a) anything with scripting or 3rd party cookies or user-identifiable URLs. Period. [if I click on the link and it tracks me on THEIR servers, that's their business. But the ad itself should be benign].

b) anything that has motion in it [especially flash and *shudder* HTML5 video, even WITHOUT sound]. Animated gifs are just as bad and should never 'autoplay' anyway.

c) anything larger than 100k bytes. yes, I'm being generous.

d) anything that requires a user interaction in ANY form, even if it's to stop the countdown early

e) anything that blocks the content if "not viewed" (including those for sites that give you 'forbidden' or other errors from nginx if you happen to have noscript running)

f) anything requiring downloads from a separate URL [script, CSS, whatever] - see '100k bytes' limit

g) anything that re-directs directly to ANY kind of installer - no exceptions!

h) anything that consumes more than 5% of the CPU over a 2 second period to render on an average device (mobile or desktop). Don't waste my battery either!

I call that "a good start"

[what, you mean shoving it in my face and blowing a loud horn until I press 'OK' isn't making me want to BUY your product??? That practice should have GUARANTEED sales attached to it!]

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon