Reply to post:

Microsoft's 'Surface Phone' is the ghost of Courier laughing mockingly at fanbois

Updraft102

"Microsoft should just make a phone thats all. There are still people who dislike Apple and Google. Thats their market."

I'm one of those who dislike Apple and Google, but then I dislike Microsoft too. Since July 29, 2015,

I wouldn't want to do anything to encourage Microsoft in their inane quest to bring all of the UI handicaps of the smartphone to the desktop. I'd only consider considering a Windows phone if there was still such a thing as a current desktop Windows that was completely free of mobile/touch/Metro/Modern/UWP stupidity. As long as Microsoft's mobile ambitions continue to taint Windows in its desktop form, Windows mobile will continue to be a non-starter for me, no matter how good it may or may not be.

Of course, Windows mobile is pretty much dead anyway, so I can only guess why MS continues to push forward with its insistence on the ugly, desktop inappropriate UI of Windows 10. The best guess now seems to be that MS is no longer interested in the general-purpose desktop OS market, so even though their gambit to use the desktop Windows as a vehicle to sell Windows phones failed, there's no benefit in returning to a Windows 7-style desktop UI. If the goal is to kill off Windows, the last thing they want to do is make Windows into a product that people actually want. They seem to be going to great lengths to ensure that it's anything but.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon