Reply to post: Re: Pothole reporting

Auto auto fleets to dodge British potholes in future

Muscleguy

Re: Pothole reporting

That is a good point. I am wont, especially early on Sunday mornings, to go for long runs which necessarily involve long stretches along footpathless country roads. Now I accept that autonomous cars are some years away from being able to navigate same but sometimes tech can move fast.

In such situations you run facing the traffic though if a car is heading head on to you there is the option of swapping sides rather than risking an ankle injury by taking to the verge. But if as part of that one has to scan the integrity of the road surface ahead, around blind bends and to absolutely know the driver is a robot system then I'm going to need to be accompanied on such runs by a an autonomous drone who looks ahead while I wear smart specs with HUD on them. I shudder to think what such a system will cost me.

In addition part of my route with the majority of my long runs goes beside an Army training establishment where they do live firing training. Running along the cycle path trailing a drone may well be perceived as a risk and/or violate some vital statute. Maybe the drone could land and fold itself into hat mode?

There is a big advantage, I could slip into the Zone but still get warned by the approach of a cyclist. I have been rudely shaken out of the Zone on occasion by a frantically ringing bell. Thus far I have managed to leap in the right direction. My hearing is very sensitive to the sound of bike wheels and bike bells. When I'm walking with my wife on the paths I'm ushering her to the side before she is aware of why.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon