Reply to post: phase plum

FBI tells Jo(e) Sixpack to become an expert in IoT security

dbtx Bronze badge
Facepalm

phase plum

The girl with the 32GB convertible tablet thing (which ultimately did not get rescued from Win10 because of nonexistent drivers) is 12 and in the 6th grade. Because the school is/has "reasonably modernized", she needs tech for everything and has basically no idea what things really are and barely any idea how to make them do whatever makes them useful. But she's been taught and effectively forced to use Chrome on (I think) Chromebooks and God knows how many Google services/apps. They're selling the kids farther up the river than my own middle school sold us all to Apple by having filled the computer labs and libraries with Mac Classics and sometimes Performas and so on, 25 years ago.

And why wouldn't they cheerfully take whatever discounts they could? They also got 19" or 21" CRT TVs for free (or at least cheap), mounted up on the wall in every classroom and the library and the lunchroom, all wired into a central playback system with automated poweron/off control. The teachers could wheel the few VCRs on AV carts-- without the few heavy TVs strapped onto them any more-- into any classroom and watch any useful video, whenever... and the students could do morning announcements on camera. And the only catch to cover the cost was that we were all *required* to watch Channel One News for ~11 minutes every day, including (I think) one or two minutes of the same exact commercial advertisements you'd see on any local station. I distinctly remember receiving (or rejecting?) the suggestion that I should be afraid to show my face in public if I was having acne problems, and Clearasil paid far out the ass to get the Channel One people to somewhat forcibly show that to millions of teens.

So this is hardly new-- though there's a new one leading the pack and the ads are actually now a little bit blockable without going into autistic mode (if you even realize you would want to and you can, but I wonder how well they teach *that*) and of course now there's the constant realtime feedback to the mother ship. She was apparently taught that it was quicker and easier and correct to search Google for home of the huskies rather than to actually use or remember or (God forbid) correctly spell a URL to get to the middle school's site. At least, that's the way she acted-- it's all she could tell me to do when I was just trying to help her find out when a thing was happening.

The future is a shitty place. Yeah I use GMail for most everything, and that's my choice and my privacy or lack thereof. When I decide to stop, no one can stop me. She has no privacy, no right to refuse, no proper initiation, no advocate (well, besides EFF & friends, I guess), and no clue. I want to go to the district's admin building and make lots of angry noises about how this is NOT teaching kids to use computers or how to survive on the web or how to maintain some dignity outside of the herd, this is merely teaching kids that GIYF-- but it very probably won't help. I kind of already (eventually) learned that lesson from trying to be a die-hard open-source junkie starting 15 years ago:

Nobody Cares.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019