Reply to post:

Hitchcock cameo steals opening of Oracle v Google Java spat

keithzg

I do really really miss Groklaw. I followed along very closely day-by-day during the initial trial, and Groklaw put out so much detailed coverage of the trial that if I hadn't been working a slack retail job that had me staring at a computer all the time anyways I probably wouldn't have been able to keep up!

Anyways, not sure what exactly the 11000 lines are (your bet that they're API calls seems likely), but they certainly aren't actual code actually copied, since Oracle was never able to prove in court that anything more had been copied than the 9 lines of rangeCheck, and in fact Oracle at the time agreed to $0 of damages on that after the jury agreed with its claims that the rangeCheck lines were in fact copied: http://www.groklaw.net/pdf3/OraGoogle-1210.pdf

And of course, the idea of rangeCheck was even actually copied or would be complex enough of an expression of an idea soas to have copyright, well that's . . . questionable, to say the least. http://www.groklaw.net/articlebasic.php?story=20121127123047829

THE COURT: Can I stop you on that part for a second? We heard the testimony of Mr. Bloch.

MR. BOIES: Yes.

THE COURT: All right. I have -- I was not good -- I couldn't have told you the first thing about Java before this trial. But, I have done and still do a lot of programming myself in other languages. I have written blocks of code like rangeCheck a hundred times or more. I could do it. You could do it. It is so simple.

The idea that somebody copied that in order to get to market faster, when it would be just as fast to write it out, it was an accident that that thing got in there.

There was no way that you could say that that was speeding them along to the marketplace. That is not a good argument.

MR. BOIES: Your Honor --

THE COURT: You're one of the best lawyers in America. How can you even make that argument?

You know, maybe the answer is because you are so good it sounds legit. But it is not legit. That is not a good argument.

MR. BOIES: Your Honor, let me approach it this way, first, okay. I want to come back to rangeCheck. All right.

THE COURT: RangeCheck. All it does is it makes sure that the numbers you're inputting are within a range. And if they're not, they give it some kind of exceptional treatment. It is so -- that witness, when he said a high school student would do this, is absolutely right.

MR. BOIES: He didn't say a high school student would do it in an hour, all right.

THE COURT: Less than -- in five minutes, Mr. Boies.

MR. BOIES: Well, Your Honor --

THE COURT: If you know the language. Once you know the language, it is a five-minute proposition.

(One thing I very much miss from Groklaw, and that nearly all other court coverage seems to miss, is actual transcripts.)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon