Reply to post: Scavenge

Disk drive fired 'Frisbees of death' across data centre after storage admin crossed his wires

tfb Silver badge

Scavenge

We had drives like this (I think the ones we had were known as 'tridents' although that may have just been what Xerox rebadged them as).

My wife once had to physically eject a service engineer from the site for *smoking* over one of them with the pack out of it.

And the saga of the scavenge: the Xerox fsck process was called 'scavenging' and it was something you did occasionally, and certainly after a power failure or crash. So, there was one or both of those and the system duly started running a scavenge on a drive (I presume not the drive that had the system on). Hours later it was still running it, and Xerox were rung up: they said it was normal for scavenges to sometimes take a very long time. More hours (in my memory, a day) passed and someone finally had the wit to go down to the machine room. It was immediately apparent that the drive was very unhappy from the noise: it turned out that it had had a head crash, and the scavenge was now blindly scraping the remains of the head assembly over the platters, presumably repeatedly trying to find out where the heads were which I think was done by seeking to some special magic track at the edge/centre of the platter. The drive was full of crud which was once either platter surface or bits of the heads. I was told that they never found some of the heads, as they'd been abraded entirely away.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019