Reply to post: Re: The only thing more volatile than Bitcoin

Games-mart Steam halts Bitcoin payments

Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

Re: The only thing more volatile than Bitcoin

Keyboards are a terrible input device for gaming, they are ergonomically awful. And WASD is just stupid for movement, why would you want a binary movement control rather than full analog?

Sure a mouse is accurate, but a controller is also accurate when you learn to use the left stick for fine adjustment in coordination with the right stick.

I'm sure people only used wsad because their left hand was hanging around on the left side ofthe keyboard. I use the arrow keys. I wish id WSAD'd now because theirs more buttons hanging around the periphery for other stuff - but its too late to change now.

Growing up in the age of Spectrum and C64 I quickly learned to recognise that "playability" meaning a control system that responded as you wanted was as important if not more than the graphics. a game that stalls while you mash buttons shouting left! right! up! at the screen is no good. I never used a non analog 8 way joystick because its much easier to press to of the 4 direction keys than to guess at the diagonal angle on the joystick. Later on came "Quake" with mouse and keyboard control - a revelation - you could control your character as fast as you could think , and with a little practice the control system became fluid and transparent - you dint notice it . perfect. That only works for FPS games of course , so now thats all I play. Driving games for instance - an analog controller , or a wheel , would be far better but still not like driving a car.

I refuse to believe that a controller can be better for fps even if you "learn to use the left stick for fine adjustment"

You could probably learn to play golf with a cricket bat fairly well , but you're never going to play as well as with a golf bat.

You can learn to drive a supercharged mini or a golf gti round a track as fast as possible and you may do some impressive and exhilarating driving - but you are never going to beat %insert top end car of choice here%

Short of thought control , or maybe really advanced VR , not using a mouse for FPS is a handicap.

Its like playing snooker using a baguette for a cue.

its like sprinting 100m in ski boots

its like playing tennis with a ping pong paddle

If playing an FPS against other real people (who also have mouse) milliseconds and perfect accuracy are paramount - as evidenced by there being no cross platform online arenas , and all console FPS games having some degree of "auto aim" to make you think you're doing it yourself.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon