Reply to post: Serverless vs Wordpress

From DevOps to No-Ops: El Reg chats serverless computing with NYT's CTO

PeteA
Windows

Serverless vs Wordpress

Speaking as an experienced software architect & developer, there's absolutely no comparison between the "serverless" design idiom and something like Wordpress (as suggested by another commentard above). Essentially, we're outsourcing the entire webserver all the way from the tin to the actual endpoints ["Azure Function" in my case]. As always, there are tradeoffs involved particularly with respect to lock-in*. My _personal_ view is that the flexibility is very appealing, but I wouldn't want to tie a large long-term design (such as an entire company infrastructure) to a single proprietary platform. From a business perspective this seems analogous to the engineering mistake of a critical system with a single point of failure. On the other hand, for short-term applications (e.g. 2 year lifespan) it's highly appealing. To me, Subbu Allamaraju's absolutely bang-on in with his quoted views, though my gut feel is to do like Polvi and wait for an OSS alternative whilst the early adopters find both the technical and real-world pain points.

Windows user, because my employer's assessment of the tie-in is similar to Rockwell's. In a couple of decades we'll know who was right.

* there's also the uncomfortable fact that although Microsoft do the maintenance, it's still our responsibility to get the configuration right in the first place. Turns out that making settings very easy to apply doesn't help people that don't grok security ... see Red Disk & AWS et al. along with the ridiculous numbers of home routers with default passwords.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon