Reply to post: @JimJimmyJimson

Germany says NEIN to purchase incentive for Tesla Model S

big_D Silver badge

@JimJimmyJimson

There are other incentives, like reduced / no road tax for electric vehicles currently and the performance is certainly on a par with many high end sport-saloons. Only the range is a problem - and that is a big problem in Germany, when people drive the 6-800KM from Munich to Hanover, Hamburg etc. for a business meeting, then drive back the same day or early the next morning.

A powerful diesel will do the trip to Hanover in around 5 hours (depending on traffic), but you need to keep the speed up above 200km/h most of the time. A quick fuel stop for 10 minutes, if you must - I did the trip in my old Ford Mondeo 2L diesel in around 5 hours without stopping, on my Honda VFR800 I did the trip in just over 4 hours, but needed to stop 3 times to refuel - is a very different equation to driving a Tesla, for example, which will quickly overheat and reduce speed and get nowhere near its normal range if you are pushing it constantly at 200+ km/h for hours on end.

That is one of the major reasons why electric isn't catching on very quickly for those that drive equivalent cars (Audi A6 / VW Passat / BMW 5 / Mercedes E etc.), because they generally drive long distances on a regular basis for work and the company doesn't have a lot of understanding for having to stop more often and for longer, when you are driving to a customer site.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019