Reply to post:

A day will come when Azure Active Directory 'classic' portal is killed. But it is not this day

Lee D Silver badge

Could someone please point to a single example where:

- A portal or service of some kind exists.

- It's supplanted without consultation by some "new" portal that doesn't work as well.

- The company realises this and says "Hey, if you're happy with the old one, we'll keep it, don't worry".

Because I can't think of ONE instance in which that was the case.

Are modern companies SO expert that they can't admit to a mistake and roll-back, or even just run old-and-new in tandem and let you freely choose until there's a clear majority of preference?

Everything from the start menu (sure, we shoved it back in several versions later but didn't bother to actually change the versions that were forced onto Metro even though they're still in support), Hotmail interfaces, DNS hosts, website CMS, banking systems... everything I ever touch that has a "new" revamped version means it's broken for the year after that, you can't do as much in the meantime, I stand a good chance of having to move my custom elsewhere, and maybe after a year or so it'll have "almost" the same functionality as the original had (usually without that one bit you really loved and that made you go with that service in the first place).

For once I'd just like to see a company say: "When you tell *us* that it's ready, we'll change it to the default. Until then it will only be an option that we won't bug you too much about. Oh, and we'll maintain the old one for as long as we can, too."

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon