Reply to post: Re: Chicken flavour vs Chicken flavoured

Don't shame idiots about their idiotically weak passwords

Norman Nescio Silver badge

Re: Chicken flavour vs Chicken flavoured

I thought it was fairly simple:

If it is chicken flavoured, it has been flavoured with real chicken.

If it is chicken flavour, it has made with something that isn't chicken, but tastes like it might have been.

Then I had a little run around Statutory instruments and got horribly confused, until I discovered

REGULATION (EU) No 1169/2011 OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL

of 25 October 2011

on the provision of food information to consumers, amending Regulations (EC) No 1924/2006 and

(EC) No 1925/2006 of the European Parliament and of the Council, and repealing Commission

Directive 87/250/EEC, Council Directive 90/496/EEC, Commission Directive 1999/10/EC,

Directive 2000/13/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council, Commission Directives

2002/67/EC and 2008/5/EC and Commission Regulation (EC) No 608/2004

where Article 7 (Fair information practices) states simply:

1. Food information shall not be misleading, particularly:

(d) by suggesting, by means of the appearance, the description or pictorial representations, the presence of a particular food or an ingredient, while in reality a component naturally present or an ingredient normally used in that food has been substituted with a different component or a different ingredient.

There is also this: UK GUIDANCE ON PICTORIAL REPRESENTATION RELATING TO FLAVOURINGS AND INGREDIENTS THAT DELIVER FLAVOUR

It discusses on page 6 'Flavoured' vs 'Flavour'

The term ‘X-flavoured’ should be used in the naming of a food or drink where that food or drink contains the food ingredient of flavour X or where the food or drink contains a flavouring derived from the food ingredient flavour of X.

For example:

1. Where ‘natural X flavouring’ is used; or

2. Where ‘natural X flavouring with other natural flavourings’

is used; or

3. Where ‘flavouring’ that is derived wholly or mainly from X flavour are used in the food/drink product.

The term ‘X-flavour’ should be used in the naming of a food or drink where that food or drink has the flavour of X but does not contain X.

For example:

1. Where ‘natural flavouring’ is used or;

2. Where ‘flavouring’ that is not derived wholly or mainly from X flavour is used in the food/drink product.

Which is what I thought in the first place, but I don't know what that opinion is based on.

It's not my area of expertise (if any is), and I don't want it to be!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon