Reply to post: Re: anarchic, fragmented, insecure, with a user base that lags far behind the latest code.

Back to the Fuchsia: The next 10 years of Android

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: anarchic, fragmented, insecure, with a user base that lags far behind the latest code.

I used to have an Android phone. It ran an older version of the system, Gingerbread, Honeycomb, Ice Cream Sandwich, I forget which. I do know that it was never upgraded. It was, simply, never, ever, upgraded for as long as I had it. There were several annoying bugs, not least being its tendency to simply freeze without warning and without outward sign. I would find out it was frozen when I attempted to use it. I would have no idea how long it had been frozen. While it was frozen it did not accept incoming calls. I became aware of this only after missing several important calls. I checked on the vendor's site and discovered that the freezing problem was a known bug, and that the fix was to install a newer version of the system. The problem was that the vendor declined to provide a method to install the newer version, that the carrier declined to provide a method to install the newer version, and that Google declined to provide a method to install the newer version. The only solution was to buy new hardware. I elected to do exactly that: I bought an iPhone 5S. My phone still works, and still uses the current version of the system. I did not have to do anything special to get it. I'll probably be buying a new phone next year, as the 5S probably won't work with the new system, but I'll have got five years out of it so I can't really complain. My new phone will probably be another iPhone.

I purchased and use an iPhone not because I am particularly enamored of Apple, but because the anarchic, fragmented, Android culture does not adequately support many, possibly most, Android devices. You may not like the fact that Android is extremely fragmented. This does not change that fact in the least.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon