Reply to post: UBI == death of all capitalism

Universal basic income is a great idea, which is also why it won't happen

Bob Dole (tm)
FAIL

UBI == death of all capitalism

The cost of most goods and services in western countries is based on the desire of the goods and the ability of the people to pay for it.

For example, when minimum wage increases, there are nearly immediate raises in the cost of housing. Every single time the minimum wage goes up parity is reset and the outcome is that things become more expensive and literally no one moves forward.

UBI is the same thing. Sure, it sounds nice to just give everyone an extra $50 or $500 a month. Certainly the work landscape is changing - just like it has always changed as humanity finds new ways of doing things. However, the net result is that the price of things will rise to meet the new availability of cash.

The only way to make this work is if the national government institutes price controls on pretty much everything at the same time. However once that happens you basically lock in everyone at their current wage tier.

Essentially - instituting UBI is a way for the takeover of the modern western world. If I were rich I'd absolutely want to see it happen. If I were poor I'd likely be too dumb to realize the chains it would place on me.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019