Reply to post: Re: @ ZSn

MPs slam HMRC's 'deeply worrying' lack of post-Brexit customs system

H in The Hague

Re: @ ZSn

"I hope you find it as funny as I do that the EU is concerned about bananas."

Mate, I don't know where you get your idea that all bureaucracy comes from the EU. In the fields I'm familiar with (health and safety, and planning permission) the UK's rules are much more restrictive and detailed than here in NL, while not being anymore effective. E.g. the planning permission I got here in The Hague for a construction project in a conservation area is much shorter and less prescriptive than the planning permission for a little house on a bit of wasteland in Sussex (e.g. that includes requirements for the garden design and type of plants). And it's not just government, industry has form too: the UK CSCS construction site safety passport system is much more convoluted than the VCA system used in NL (and also BE and GER I think) while providing no more safety. (And yes, I've got both the CSCS and VCA cards.) The only upside I can see to Brexit is that when the powers that be can no longer blame stuff on Brussels, folk might realise that rather a lot of red tape (some of it useful, some of it not) is entirely homegrown. And as far as produce description (= consumer protection) legislation is concerned, the UK used to have that in the past too, and hopefully will still have it in future.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon