Reply to post: Re: Forgive me if I'm being slow

Your attention has value, personal cryptocurrency will advertise it

Cuddles

Re: Forgive me if I'm being slow

"1. Advertisers buy BATS for Real Money(TM) from Brave.

2 Brave holds the stock of BATs on behalf of the advertiser.

3. When the advertiser pushes an unwanted but nevertheless unblocked advert to the viewer it pays the viewer in BAT.

4. The user pays a publisher in BAT.

5. The publisher sells the BATs back to Brave for Real Money."

I have to admit I'm a bit confused at what the point of BAT here is. Here's an alternative cycle:

1. When the advertiser pushes an unwanted but nevertheless unblocked advert to the viewer it pays the viewer.

2. The user pays a publisher.

As far as I can tell this is identical to the cycle involving BAT in every respect, except you don't need to worry about swapping real money to pretend money and back again. The only downside is for Brave, whose only part in the whole thing is to act as an unnecessary middleman taking a cut at both ends. Considering the whole point was supposedly to "disintermediate" the middleman, immediately reintermediating themselves into the same position doesn't help matters at all; removing all middlemen, including Brave, seems a much better solution. If nothing else, it would serve as reasonable punishment for having used the word nonsensical jumble of letters "disintermediate".

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon