Reply to post:

Munich council: To hell with Linux, we're going full Windows in 2020

Pompous Git Silver badge

"The reality is that despite decades of work Linux is "maybe" as user friendly as perhaps windows 98 for a non technical user as a desktop OS with the best distros and more like reverting to windows NT4 with the worst ones, and telling normal users they "should" expend hundreds of hours learning to become a Linux guru just to be able to update and maintain their Linux distro instead of using an almost self maintaining (most of the time) windows environment is just lunacy"
No, the reality is Linux is the easier to use and maintain. Obviously you haven't spent time using a recent distro. I have. I spent 18 months using Linux Cinnamon Mint as my primary OS.

The problem with Linux is an almost complete lack of quality desktop applications. Web browsing (Chrome), playing Civ V on Steam and using system tools were all fine. Mostly I use a word processor for writing and Libre Office worked better than recent versions of Word; it only failed when I was asked to reformat Word docs.

Missing though were many applications I use on a regular and semi-regular basis, such as The Oxford English Dictionary or the Linux equivalents were frankly very badly designed. Very temporarily I've been using Win10 so I could learn enough fix Mrs Git's machine relatively quickly. It is as many agree, a crock of shit! I'm back to Win7 RSN for productivity and Cinnamon Mint for system maintenance stuff. If I could afford to replace my current machine with a grunty i7 it would run Mint as the primary OS and all my Win7 stuff in a VM.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon