Reply to post: Thats what happens when kiddies run data centres

OVH data centres go TITSUP: Power supply blunders blamed

I Am Spartacus
Coat

Thats what happens when kiddies run data centres

It's some years since I had to run or design a data centre. But I do recall a number of key points:

3m Separation: That is the distance that two independent network links had to be apart from each other at all times. Also, making sure that they both didn't go to the same alternative end point. It's called triangularisation, and it ensure that one remote DC doesn't had a shit fit and take out an adjacent DC by trashing its comms gateway. Then you have layers of redundant comms, partially as firewalls, but also to ensure there was separation and segregation of comms protocols;

Power. Redundant power feeds, battery standby, M-G sets. OH and test them. We did find on one test that a supplier had put the wrong type of diesel in the tank, and it had waxed.

This was in the days of mainframes. Nowdays we have reduced the mainframe to a couple of oversized PC's and we call it a data centre. Is it only us old farts to can recall building real data centres? Ones where it would take a well placed tactical nuke to take out? (Actually, I could talk about the underground one we built, but I think I am still covered by certain legal aspects, so I won't).

The key word is multiple redundancy. It's obvious when you say it, but bloody difficult to do well - and it's not cheap.

Mines the one with the book on painful data centre memories in the pocket.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon