Reply to post:

Tesla hits Model 3 production speed bumps, slides to loss

jmch Silver badge

@Ledswinger - great all-round analysis.

Re "Vehicle distribution & Sales" - In the US they still have to jump through a bunch of hoops because many states have laws against car manufacturers selling direct.

"that limited model range looks a problem" - I'm not sure why this would be the case. Sharing technology across platforms works to cut costs when you build in volume for the cheaper end of the market. I don't believe Maserati, Bentley etc and the top-end German cars in the 100k-ish bracket that are Tesla S/X competitors share platforms. With model 3 the non-sharing of platform could mean they can't cut down on costs so much, but anyway it's more expensive than the Golfs or Mondeos it will compete with, and it will still sell as many as Tesla can make.

From a customer perspective I find a limited model range to be a plus. With most other carmakers it requires hours of in-depth study to understand the differences even in teh different versions of a single model let alone teh entire range. I think that was one of the greatest points of appeal of the original BMW-Mini - it was extremely customisable for outward appearance but under the hood there were just 2 or 3 variants.

I do find it likely that in the end they will be merged with another big US manufacturer although retaining their independent brand much like Mini with BMW. I say merged not gobbled up because while their volume shifting is a problem, their technology and patents must be worth a huge amount to any other manufacturer who intends to go all-in on mainstream EVs

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019