Reply to post: Re: If you want to change the default browser from chrome to firefox

Fresh bit o' Linux to spruce up that ancient Windows Vista box? Why not, we say...

Kiwi
Boffin

Re: If you want to change the default browser from chrome to firefox

I could not find the graphical way of changing the browser. I tried it out yesterday in virtual box. Seems it comes with two chromes, one firefox and Konqueror web-browsers installed.

I can't speak for Q4OS as I don't have it fully installed as yet (my internet connection is crap, will be able to say more later). [edit I've done some quick exploring, but because of only one browser installed I cannot explore further till much later today - in Control Panel -> TDE Components (no idea what the name means) there is a "Default Applications" settings that has an option to change the web browser - until I can get a more complete system I can't explore further. HTH and perhaps Q4's people can look at renaming/editing/whatever.]

However, in MS Windows (XP up to 8.1, I can't speak for 10.x), the standard way to change the default browser is 1) install new browser.

The not-so-standard way is 1) Open browser, 2) go to browser's settings/preferences, 3) usually under the initial page find the "make x my default" button and click it. You also have the option to toggle "always check if X is default when you start X" checkbox.

IIRC for IE you have to do this under the "Internet Settings" but it's been a very long time since I changed the state of IE. This is the only instance I am aware of under Windows, Linux or OSX where you're normally expected to change the default browser via the system settings and not the browser itself.

(That said, I've discovered Mate has a "Preferred Applications" setting where you can also change default browser.. I'm used to have have learned to do it via the browser itself, perhaps because Windows has no equivalent (spins up XP and 7 VMs to check - XP go to control panel -> network and internet connections -> internet properties, programs tab, and you have the option under Default Browser to make IE the default, for others you have to do it in browser. For 7 you have the Default Programs tool as well - must be my days in Windows up to XP that taught me to only do it in the browser.... Oh well.. )

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon