Reply to post: Yet another fantastic idea...

Knock, knock? Oh, no one there? No problem, Amazon will let itself in via your IoT smart lock

Rameses Niblick the Third Kerplunk Kerplunk Whoops Where's My Thribble?

Yet another fantastic idea...

...that I want absolutely nothing to do with.

I can arrange to be in, I trust my neighbours, I certainly don't trust the random person who I never met who managed to get a rusty transit to skim through an MOT done by their mate and call themselves a delivery driver. If it needs to go in my house that desperately, my neighbour, who I know well and have known for years can put it in my house, and vice versa.

A porch is a reasonable solution, but not all buildings have space for that.

What I think would be a great idea would be to have public buildings, maybe an office of some kind, which have decent opening hours but with a secure area accessible only to staff. The delivery driver could put a ticket with a reference through the door and that relates to your package. They could even handle the post as well.

(Before anyone moans that they don't have a convenient local Post Office, or that it's never open, blame the unique way our postal service is now run. All the inefficiencies of a public run body and all the financial skimming and money grabbing of the worst kind of capitalism.)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon