Reply to post: This is a waste of time

Didn't install a safety-critical driverless car patch? Bye, insurance!

Bob Dole (tm)
Thumb Down

This is a waste of time

With my crystal ball out let me tell you what’s going to happen in the very near future.

Individual car ownership is going the way of the dodo. Rather than sell these cars, manufacturers are going to rent them out. The manufacturers will carry their own insurance and handle any payments to those impacted in a wreck.

Shortly after critical penetration of the market is reached today’s insurance companies are going to jack rates up on any meatbag that insists on driving themselves. It’ll become prohibitively expensive which will simply hasten the inevitable takeover. Groups like Uber and Lyft will grow like crazy as they switch over to driverless. Traditional rental car companies like Hertz will have to adapt or go out of business. If their existing airport infrastructures are owned by them, then they might be able to sell those items off to the new transportation Kings.

The common person won’t care about insurance anymore as it will be rolled into the daily or

monthly rental fees. Drivers license’s will also fade away and more people will end up getting a regular government ID.

I’d say that if you own stock in any transportation based company you take a hard look at how these changes are going to impact them. I’d dump insurance and rental company stocks and I’d buy stock in Uber/lyft or one of the major manufacturers leading the way on driverless cars.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon