Reply to post: Re: How about treating them like everyone else?

Microsoft faces Dutch crunch over Windows 10 private data slurp

Kiwi
WTF?

Re: How about treating them like everyone else?

"and all sorts of other personal records, including "typing history""

Lol, Windows 10 doesn't store or forward your actual typing. It collects statistics like word use frequency and similar in real time. If you let it.

So you mean mickey$loth was, yet again, lying when they listed "typing history" as part of the data they collect?

And what bloody use are stats like the frequency of words I use, especially without context (ie in order of use)? True real-time word use stats would show the order anyway, as it would show the count for "order" was updated momentarily before the count for "anyway". But what business is it of theirs what words I use and how often?

The data MS colllects, from MS's own site :

Web browsing and online searches

Places you go (physical location)

Data that helps us assist you, personally ("...needs to know what you’re interested in, what’s on your calendar, and who you might want to do things with.")

Fitness and health

Data that we use to show more interesting ads

Places you go

Data that helps us assist you, personally

Sign-in and payment data

Information from device sensors

(https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-ca/)

That lot alone is quite scary, and certainly a level of intrusion that is illegal in NZ and other jurisdictions, especially as it's on be default and doesn't give clear explanations during the installation

And then there's :(excuse formatting)

App usage Information about Windows and application usage such as:

• OS component and app feature usage
  • User navigation and interaction with app and Windows features. This could potentially include user input, such as name of a new alarm set, user menu choices, or user favorites.
  • Time of and count of app/component launches, duration of use, session GUID, and process ID
  • App time in various states – running foreground or background, sleeping, or receiving active user interaction
  • User interaction method and duration – whether and length of time user used the keyboard, mouse, pen, touch, speech, or game controller
  • Cortana launch entry point/reason
  • Notification delivery requests and status
  • Apps used to edit images and videos
  • SMS, MMS, VCard, and broadcast message usage statistics on primary or secondary line
  • Incoming and Outgoing calls and Voicemail usage statistics on primary or secondary line
  • Emergency alerts are received or displayed statistics
  • Content searches within an app
  • Reading activity -- bookmarking used, print used, layout changed

And if that's not going to far, how about (some removed for brevity) :

App or product state Information about Windows and application state such as:

• App launch state –- with deep-link such as Groove launched with an audio track to play, or share contract such as MMS launched to share a picture.
  • Personalization impressions delivered
  • Whether the user clicked or hovered on UI controls or hotspots
  • Caret location or position within documents and media files -- how much of a book has been read in a single session or how much of a song has been listened to.

What business is it of theirs how much of a bloody book I read in a single sitting?

More for the brave/sadistic at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/configuration/windows-diagnostic-data.

Yes, while it does refer to docs being grabbed during a crash, there are several mechanisms where this would happen. Especially given the regularity with which windows/programs crash!

How the hell do you live with yourself defending this stuff? [sounds of tongue being gnawed at as I try to keep a hold on what I really want to say!]

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon