Reply to post: I predict this will be another, and possibly the last, nail in the coffin of broadcast TV.

FCC Commissioner blasts new TV standard as a 'household tax'

Loud Speaker

I predict this will be another, and possibly the last, nail in the coffin of broadcast TV.

This seems to mean that you need an internet connectuon for the TV to work. The internet is comming to be regarded in the same was as electricity and water, an essential domestice service provision.

If you have to have internet and a screen, the bit you don't need is a tuner. So TV is doomed. Once the older generation find their TV does not work, they will learn how to use IP TV.

This "Old people can't do internet/PCs" is twaddle. Computers May have been young people's stuff once upon a time. The internet is now 35 years old. So people who were adult when it started are now over 55. My mum was a computer programmer in her 40's, and is now 91.

"Stupid people need help" is definitely the case, nothing new there, and "Samsung keep updating the Smart TV UI, and now we can't find Youtube" is also a problem - easily solved by not buying Samsung again.

People will soon realise a new TV is NOT the answer they are looking for.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon