Reply to post: Re: A Part Time Drone Pilot's Perspective

Essex drone snapper dealt with by police for steamy train photos

Peter Christy

Re: A Part Time Drone Pilot's Perspective

Quite right! And there are lots of responsible drone pilots out there. But as usual, its a stupid minority getting all the publicity, and messing things up for others.

I fly "conventional" R/C models, both fixed wing and helicopter. I carry substantial 3rd party insurance, just in the unlikely case that one of my models does go astray. I fly responsibly and in remote locations. But like all other enthusiasts, I am now being threatened with legislation which will require me to register all my models (no doubt at great expense!) and to notify the authorities of all the sites where I intend to fly them, just because of a few idiot drone pilots.

The "powers that be" accept that ordinary r/c model enthusiasts are not the issue, but seem incapable of drafting a definition that distinguishes between "drones" and ordinary models.

The idiots flying these things in public places and around prominent landmarks deserve all they get, and it is refreshing to see at least one police force waking up to the problem.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon