Reply to post: Not too sure about this...

Open source sets sights on killing WhatsApp and Slack

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Not too sure about this...

Granted: I don't really keep up with all the details involving every open source project I use, but mostly focus on whether I like it or not. And I couldn't help notice that recent Dovecot upgrades didn't exactly go as smoothly as I wanted to; most specific some massive changes in the configuration files for example. Instead of one you now get dozens and often have to hope that you'll pick the right one for the right setting; it's not always as logical as it could be.

For example: I used to rely on Dovecot providing Postfix with a socket for authentication. This made it quite easy to administrate one dedicated mail related user databases for all mail related software (Postfix / Dovecot). Usually found within the auth default {} structure. So here I was assuming I'd find this in conf.d/10-auth.conf but no... That would obviously be much too logical. Instead we're going to include even more config files making the whole process much too tedious than I care for.

Sure, once you realize as much it's easy, and it's also not that hard to figure out. But "figuring out" is also time wasted on something trivial which could have been better spent on actually configuring all the options I needed.

So yeah, if I read this; them planning to add even more stuff into Dovecot which I totally don't care for then I'll probably be re-evaluating my pick for POP3/IMAP really soon. Although I appreciate the integrated Postfix support, but having both environments perform lookups in a (PostgreSQL) back end database should serve my needs just as well. And then I'd rather use something small and to the point, instead of something which has dozens of options I don't need nor care for.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon