Reply to post: Re: I must be part if Will Wheaton's minority

Annoyingly precocious teen who ruined Trek is now an asteroid

rchop

Re: I must be part if Will Wheaton's minority

What is more interesting is why you (and others) find Wesley Crusher upsetting and then (even more interesting) why you (and others) find it so difficult to clearly separate a role from the person who plays that role. Seriously. "Audience tormenting sadism"???? The "audience" clearly does not include a sizeable number of people who did not experience your anger. Since anger is rooted in fear, I'm wondering what particular fear evokes so much anger. Crusher was the only adolescent character that got any screen time, so maybe there is something that really bothers some people about seeing some version of themselves in the character. Just wondering. Jar-jar is a bumbling clown who is a plot foil. Not sure why clowns evoke so much fear and loathing. Bumbling clowns don't get much screen time in any media, so It is curious why what little time they get evokes so much feeling. Perhaps the character subtracts from the time the fan gets to identify with the mythical, swashbuckling role they are feeding off of. But I am sure there are other hypothetical sources of fear that are more acceptable to the angered fans.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon