Reply to post:

He's no good for you! Ofcom wants to give folk powers to dump subpar broadband contracts

AndrueC Silver badge
Boffin

Now all we need to do is make sure that consumers understand the differences between 'advertised speed', 'connection speed' and 'throughput'. Some clarifications from me:

'Advertised speed' - a figure that describes the technical capabilities of the technology.

'Connection speed' - a figure that indicates what speed the technology is actually providing at a specific installation.

'Throughput' - a figure that indicates how much data can be actually be transmitted in a given period of time.

Note that 'throughput' needs further clarification as it could be measured in several ways some of which are:

- The maximum speed at which data can arrive at or leave from the end user's modem.

- The maximum speed at which data can travel between the end user's modem and their ISP's servers.

- The maximum speed at which data can travel between the end user's modem and whatever server they are choosing to measure (note that this is a very complicated thing to define and the Internet offers no speed guarantees).

Oh and all of the above need to be measured by the consumer over a fully wired connection.

I've wanted Ofcom to concentrate on throughput for a long time (not least because it's a product differentiator that can actually be meaningfully controlled through customer choice as opposed to connection speed which can't be for most of us). Unfortunately it really isn't a simple topic. I don't see how advertising can ever provide the requisite information. The nearest I can think of is a rating system but we're still left trying to choose how we measure throughput.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon