Reply to post:

2019: The year that Microsoft quits Surface hardware

robin thakur 1

It is the obvious question. To me there has been a change in Microsoft's dedication to Xbox since the Xbox One underperformed (flopped really). Expensive first party games like Scalebound and Fable were cancelled and others were delayed. The studios like Lionhead that Microsoft had paid top dollar to acquire were quietly folded. Halo seems to be the only major platform exclusive that sells in any numbers and third parties are starting to take note.

They stripped the Kinect off of the main SKU and are now completely screwing up, by late releasing the Xbox One X which is basically mostly expensive custom parts and high performing PC parts along with zero games that take full advantage of it. This is hard to turn a profit on, even given that most new consoles make a loss (Nintendo aside) and make it back on software. Besides which, Shareholders hate the Xbox business, because it was loss making for a long time and got them terrible PR during the RROD era. Even now its not exactly making money hand over fist when you take into account the R&D costs.

This is not easy to sell like a whole new generation launch with exclusive games, it just means that the same games will generally run fine on the older Xbox Ones, they will just look a bit better on the Xbox One X if you also own a recent expensive TV i.e. they are turning it into a PC-esque ecosystem.

I honestly cannot see there being another Xbox after this. Yes the preorders might have sold out, but how many are they producing? Are ordinary people going to pay that much for a console when you can get the PS4 'equivalent' so much cheaper.

The Xbox brand will become a byword for a service offered through Windows to play PC games on, and MS's empire and influence will shrink once again.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019