Reply to post: Another few hundred moving from 123REG to LCN

There's a way to dodge Fasthosts' up-to-160% domain renewal hike but you're not gonna like it

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Another few hundred moving from 123REG to LCN

I'm moving mine. A little care is necessary with some so aiming at about 10/day but finding the LCN UI easier to use than 123reg. I've persevered long enough with 123 despite several cockups especially in respect of charges.

123reg make it hard to find and navigate to the outbound transfers page so if you've got multiple names to shift set a browser bookmark or you'll have to follow the same tortuous route each time.

My current difficulty is that 123reg seem to like charging for domains set to not renew and moved elsewhere. I can't prove that some domains I'm certain I set to not renew seem to get changed back. Maybe they have database crashes and roll back to a prior version?

I'm currently trying to cancel the Direct Debit at the Bank to make it harder for them to charge.

Clearly the biggest benefit of moving is to those with loads of domains but even if you've just got one, for co.uk the process is trivially simple and not much harder for .com. I can see no benefit in paying double even for a single name.

Yes I inherited a couple of names at Fasthosts, those will move today.

As regards domain privacy, personally I'm not worried about disclosing street address. The email address will attract spams and scams so I use a Gmail reserved for domain name registration (I set a filter to highlight and forward relevant ones to my normal account but diarise a regular check too just in case) a phone number (free Sipgate) that goes to voicemail (never gets any).

BTW Nominet never use postal or phone contact but rely solely on email as a client of mine found when they'd not updated their email. They lost their domain by failing to respond to a trivial technical query from Nominet. Rather than suspend the name Nominet cancelled and immediately released it to the open market with no other warning or period or suspension. Luckily I spotted the issue and re-purchased. Who would ever have thought Nominet could screw up...

I'd better clarify the nominet query: My customer had registered his name as like "freds enterprises trading as Fredco" rather than "freds enterprises" then use a separate field for "Trading as Fredco". OK strictly "wrong" but sufficiently misleading to justify cancelling the registration?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon