Reply to post: Re: Why would you ever want to run SQL Server on Linux?

SQL Server 2017: What's new, what's missing on Linux, and what's next?

tobiassql

Re: Why would you ever want to run SQL Server on Linux?

Hi this is Tobias Ternstrom from the Microsoft Database Systems product team.

First of all, I want to assure you we are working hard on bringing the missing features from Windows to SQL Server on Linux, having any features missing in our Linux version was something that we really wanted to avoid. The reason we did not get all features into the SQL Server 2017 database engine on Linux is really simply about the amount of engineering work needed, i.e. do we push out the release date or release iteratively. For our first release on Linux we prioritized performance & scale, security, app compatibility, and having a solid Linux sysadmin experience. Compatibility is a huge area (i.e. between Windows and Linux) and as you see we decided to go with an iterative approach. Given how our PAL is architected most features make it in without special "Linux-work", however features that integrate with the operating system or other processes require additional work. Good examples of such features include our HA/read-scale-out feature Availability Groups as well as Active Directory integration which both are in this release. The missing features are also such features, for example Machine Learning involves us integrating with the R or Python runtimes on Linux.

At any rate, we are working hard on closing the gaps and are determined to have an equally great database experience on Linux and Windows Server :-)

Hope this makes sense!

Thanks!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon