Reply to post: Re: I can't understand why anyone ever thought it was a good idea...

BYOD might be a hipster honeypot but it's rarely worth the extra hassle

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: I can't understand why anyone ever thought it was a good idea...

BYOD, to work would have needed OS designed from ground up for it - basically, two well separated sandboxes, one for work, one for personal data, clear boundaries between them and warning/blocks if and when data or application try to cross them. Trying to bolt on some application to safeguard business data is not the solution.

From a user perspective I also wan to avoid my personal data to be mixed with my employer ones. I do not want my employer to be able to wipe my devices remotely, or meddle with them anyhow. I'm perfectly happy the day I change my job I just need to give back the devices, and no need for them to look at and clean my personal ones.

Yes, I need to travel with two phones for work, but that also means that while I'm on vacations I can leave the work phone at home and nobody will trouble me (only a few trusted ones have my personal number for real emergencies), I even refused the option to allow for using the work phone for personal calls, for a nominal fee. My private communications happens only on my private devices.

Also I need a company laptop to work on site - but they are the right price to pay to keep my personal life fully separated from my actual job, the past ones, and the next ones...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019