Reply to post:

US yanks staff from Cuban embassy over sonic death ray fears

jmch Silver badge

I second the 'bullshit' call. CIA have huge technical capability. For example overhear conversations by bouncing a laser off a window and measuring the interference caused by sound waves vibrating on the window. Surely they also have more advanced capabilities not known to the general public.

A 'sonic ray' should be easily detected by a microphone operating in the right frequency, and with some spectrum analysis and triangulation it should be trivial for CIA tech guys to identify such a ray, what's causing it and where it's coming from. Same goes even if the 'ray' isn't exactly 'sonic' but something else. And if there was any actual proof of such a 'weapon' being used, you can be sure that the tweeter in-chief would be close to declaring war... instead all we are hearing out of the US is bluster and hearsay.

If Americans aren't the only ones suffering symptons, that's neither here nor there. Could just as easily be down to unknown environmental factors rather than collateral damage from a targeted attack. Whether it's targeted or untargeted, it seems more likely to me that it's something environmental (I would have thought 'something in the water' but USAians are notoriously reluctant to drink tap water)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon