Reply to post: Re: is it my fault?

'Dear diversity hire...' Amazon's weapons-grade fail in recruitment email to woman techie

Rich 11

Re: is it my fault?

Well, first men's brains are on average slightly larger than women's

On average. In other words, you couldn't take one brain and say whether it was a man's or a woman's. You'd have to sample a lot of them to be able to make a probabilistic assessment. In other words, there is a large overlap. That supports my first point. In any case, are you really going to claim that it is brain size which makes all the difference? I don't know about you, but I've met several children who could comfortably outthink many adults.

In it, it is noted that Down syndrome is more likely to affect males than females

Agreed. But this is a narrow case which doesn't refute my first point.

So, now that your sweeping general statement has been debunked

Really not the case. See above.

And my second point was that acculturation is the main driver of inequality. To give a very extreme example, if the prevailing culture says to women from childhood, "You are just a sex slave whose best hope of survival and comfort is to give in to your alloted master", then you'd hardly be surprised if many girls grew up thinking that would be their most acceptable destiny. Nor would you be surprised that a boy would grow up thinking that some of those sex slaves could well be his.

When I was a computing student 35 years ago, only one in five people on my course were women. In the place where I work now (a very enlightened place both now and historically compared to all the stories of discrimination we hear coming from Silicon Valley) the proportion is just about the same. Even then, you have to include the trainers and the admin assistants to get to that number, not just look at the techies and developers with similar qualifications to mine (and lets not even think about management level posts -- female representation was zero for a decade until earlier this week). Are you honestly going to claim that all of that is due to girly brainz?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon