Reply to post: Re: messing with meshes

The Next Big Thing in Wi-Fi? Multiple access points in every home

tim292stro

Re: messing with meshes

Over WiFi (thereby using WiFi spectrum). Also see definition of "panacea" before arguing it's NEQ "solution".

I know what mesh is, I run B.A.T.M.A.N advanced on a few 900MHz WiFi radios as a mesh "backbone" around my property, then more APs with smaller cell-like channel partitions and antenna arrays to provide access to regular devices.

The point is that if you have a internet connection, then you need to transmit that data out to the device over wireless hops, then back to the point of access over more hops. Every one of those hops is a time slot on a channel that another device can't use - because they all happen in the same channel space the regular devices use. Modern consumer access points don't give the home user the control to tune the radiation and reception pattern to their own property (even though most AP n/ac chipsets can do beam forming). You would then "train" the AP to only accept signals from inside its reception area, and down-tune the gain so that the signal drops off outside the bounds. But it's probably a good thing too - more home users aren't ready for that level of control and responsibility.

I did an installation in the early 2000's at HP Labs' campus in Palo Alto with original Lucent 802.11b PC-cards. More devices doesn't beat good RF planning, and I think we do a disservice telling consumers that they "...don't have to think about it, just put a few of these in every corner of your house!!" Doing an ACTUAL distributed antenna system (DAS) and down-tuning the AP(s) so that it only covers the intended area, and by antenna form-factor and placement rejects other signals, is far superior to deploying a mesh. Less devices "talking" in given, limited channels means more channel space available. Period.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019