Reply to post: Now for the fun part: what happens if someone DOES include those terms?

Don’t fear the software shopkeeper: T&Cs banning bad reviews aren’t legal in America

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Now for the fun part: what happens if someone DOES include those terms?

Maybe it's just me but I like companies trying this - no, no, hold your outrage, bear with me on this.

When evaluating a supplier, you should not just look at the product but also the business because it gives you a good hint of the quality, flaws, future and support of the product you're buying.

A company which pre-emptively seeks to quell bad reviews is actively worried about those. In other words, this company doesn't like feedback to improve its product, which suggests they either KNOW the product will get a bad review, fear it, or even both.

This declares whatever you're thinking of buying not only a potential steaming pile of problems, but it also suggests the organisation involved will rather hide behind lawyers than address the problems or use the feedback to make the product better (actually, let's start with "acceptable" first).

Ergo, the presence of such conditions in the T&Cs acts as a nice evaluation shortcut: it sends a very clear "do not buy under any circumstances" signal. I'd avoid a company trying this like the proverbial plague.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon