Reply to post:

Samsung's Galaxy Note 8 is hot, but not much more than the S8+

cray74

Typing items in to a shopping list would be quite kludgy by comparison.

I'm not endorsing the following app as the greatest thing since sliced bread, just pointing out that there are options between "putting lines through items on a photograph" and "typing items into a shopping list." If your brain favors old school hand-written lists or something else, then ignore this post.

"Note Everything" (I'm sure there are other check list apps) allows you to create check lists of many formats, and it retains them, even has a backup feature. You can mark items as "need" and "done" (i.e., "acquired," if it's a shopping list). You can prioritize and sort items, and it has a speech-to-text function for entry. You can have multiple lists - I keep a grocery list and a list of things to do when I go on travel. (Like never, ever forgetting to empty the garbage when you're leaving for a week and dropped a half-eaten garlic-and-herb crusted fish in the bin the night before departure. "Empty bins" is now on my travel check list.)

Yes, you have to manually type in items for your lists (or speak them into the list), but you only have to do that once and then the item is in your list permanently until you manually delete them. Then it's just a matter of checking and un-checking the items with a single finger (or stylus) tap through the week as you think of whether you need to buy something again.

I like a check list app because I was always forgetting the handwritten list by my refrigerator and almost never forget my phone. Obviously, it's not for everyone, but the option is out there.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon