Reply to post: Re: Unsolicited Goods Act 1971

123-Reg customers outraged at automatic .UK domain registration

John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Unsolicited Goods Act 1971

"Surely if actually sent to you then they are "unsolicited goods" and are your property for free anyway?"

Only if you can prove they were meant for you as a speculative sale. The law allows for errors and mistakes, hence the "cooling off" period where they can arrange collection. If you don't notify them and just keep them for yourself, you could be accused of theft although the sender would have to demonstrate a reasonable mistake was made and a reasonable attempt was made to contact you. It's like finding a tenner in the street. Legally you should hand it in to the police and if it's not claimed they should offer it to you after whatever time period the law allows for.

A while back I found a sports bag full of tools (looked like plumbers stuff) in the front garden the morning after a number of cars/vans had been broken into overnight. Handed it over to the police in case they could use it as evidence or if the owner reported it missing. A few months later they phoned up and asked me if I wanted it since it was now "abandoned" and could be legally mine if I so wished. I declined in this case.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon