Reply to post: Don't get a cheap android

Apple bumps up price on iPad Pro as flash costs climb

Ilsa Loving

Don't get a cheap android

Don't do it. Just don't. You will regret it.

I've tried several 'cheap' tablets, and they proved that the "Landfill Android" moniker is justly deserved. They were barely suitable for even the most basic purposes. A couple were so bad that they weren't even good enough to suffice as a basic e-reader. You're also virtually guaranteed to get zero updates. What you got in the box is what you're stuck with.

There have been some important changes in the droid-verse since I last used one... The latest versions of android are significantly improved, especially in the realm of power/process management. Also, there is now an official-ish agreement between several of the major manufacturers to provide at least a couple years worth of updates. I can't remember the details, and they still don't come close to the avg 5 years of updates that Apple provides, but the situation is a heck of a lot better than it used to be.

Oh, another nice feature in recent androids... If your device supports SD cards, you can configure the device to (essentially) group the storages together into one cohesive volume, so you no longer have to play the "Can I move this app to my sd card?" game.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019