Reply to post: Re: Sound

Five ways Apple can fix the iPhone, but won't

John Robson Silver badge

Re: Sound

>>and demonstrates confusion over things like nyquist frequency, and the accuracy of phase information in a sampled signal...

>I can't see how you came to that conclusion

For one you complained that at the nyquist frequency you can lose signal - which is never in question.

For another with a band limited signal there is no loss of phase information from sampling.

Monty goes over this with a square wave (including explaining about the effects of a low pass filter on a square wave), demonstrating the perfect replication of the signal, and the absolute reproduction of all phase information.

44.1k/16 bit is (more than) sufficient for the human ear. If you would like to come and take a double blind test against some super-dooper MHz sampling with MB depth then you are welcome to - I'll set one up with some of my hardware, and some of yours.

One of the main differences that people tend to hear is, as you rightly point out, the quality of the master being different for the two formats. But if you take a HiDef master and play that, as well as playing it through a ADAC at 44k/16 then you won't hear a difference (you'll need to apply a slight delay to the master signal in order to allow the A/B testing to not 'give the game away').

The quality of the DAC and the master have nothing to do with the limits of 44.1k/16 bit sampling - those limits are outside of the relevant ranges for humans.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon