Reply to post: At the AC re: accessibility.

The new, new Psion is getting near production. Here's what it looks like

Shadow Systems

At the AC re: accessibility.

Thank you for mentioning it. I was about to do so & you've thankfully beat me to it. Enjoy a pint!

I'll add that the capacitance buttons idea is a fucking nightmare. Buttons you can't feel to know they're there, get no haptic feedback from to know you've pressed them, & a device that suddenly starts "doing strange shit for no fucking reason" is the exact opposite of what is needed to make this device suitable for someone with vision problems.

A device we can keep in our pocket, pull out with one hand & open with the other, that gives us a physical QWERTY keyboard. Keys we can feel, that make an audible click to indicate we've pressed them, so the device doesn't "start acting strange" bit, is a perfect device for us to check email, browse the web, listen to music or Youtube, write reports, edit files, or do 90% of what we need to do with a computer. As long as it has that Screen Reader Environment (SRE) to give the audio we need, blind folks would buy it in droves.

I'd certainly buy one if it had that SRE, it'd be infinitely easier to take with me than a laptop, the laptop bag/backpack, the power brick, all the dongle cables, blah blah blah. Something the size of a smartphone that I can get real work done on?

Shut up & take my money! =-D

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon