Reply to post:

Mazda and Toyota join forces on Linux-based connected car platform

tiggity Silver badge

The explosion of electronic junk gets worse and worse.

e.g. I used to be able to adjust the car clock via a simple manual device on the dashboard.

Now its hidden via umpteen layers of electronic menu that require weird combinations of pressing various indicators and push buttons on them, and so "intuitive" that read of manual required to change most things, so end result is I just don't bother and onboard time just drifts further away from the correct time

If I want to listen to the radio then I prefer a dedicated (& replaceable) hardware "radio unit" (with the benefit of local traffic news cutting in when I'm on long journeys)

As for non radio music, hardware "radio unit" will typically play CD / allow MP£ player to be used as input so no apps needed.

As for Sat Nav, cheaper to buy a dedicated Sat Nav with free lifetime map updates (or use freebie mobile phone app with maps loaded in advance so no connectivity needed) than pay manufactuers huge markup for map updates on their inbuilt Sat Nav.

I cannot be alone in wanting a basic car, where dross like this is *only* available as an optional extra, if you want to fritter away cash on "improving" a base model car, then maybe better shock absorbers, better brakes, proximity sensors or similar kit that actually makes the driving / parking experience better, rather than app tat.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon