Reply to post: Re: Is it just me...

AMD agrees to drop $29.5m to make Llano go away once and for all

Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: Is it just me...

since they acctually work

So do A series.

The original E series low power APUs where a bit of a dud, but also work. Looking around me I have 10 APU based systems in the house - 3 laptops, one media center using a laptop version of the A series, one "proper" media center, 4 desktops and a mini-server. Every single one of them trounces the "equivalent" (quotes desperately needed) Intel from the same period. Every single one of them can be (and is) loaded with memory to the gills - up to 32G for laptops and up to 64G for desktops. Every one of them is still fit for purpose to be used today 5-6 years after the original purchase date. This was at a time when Intel deliberately crippled all consumer chipsets so that they are limited to 8G or even 4G of RAM.

The issue which investors were suing for is actually not described correctly in the article. In addition to being late, the original F1 socket for A series (and the mobile counterpart) was found to have some issues and had to be replaced by F2 leaving a huge stock of motherboards floating out there without matching APUs. What was the reason for the replacement we actually do not know, but the result was a lot of people pissed off in the supply chain. I have one F1 system and while a bit temperamental, it has been working 24x7x365 for 6 years now so no idea what the problem was in the first place. So in addition to being late AMD also did not deliver to spec.

In any case, I will still get an APU system if I need a computer on which to do real work on what I do for a living - Linux, virtualization, java and occasional document. In fact a brand new A12 is traveling in the post - should be here next next week raising the count of APU based systems in the house to 11.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon