Reply to post: Re: Who

Kill animals and destroy property before hurting humans, Germany tells future self-driving cars

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Who

"The answer? Get people off the roads."

Over my dead body.... Oh, wait a minute, bad choice of words there... :-)

But more seriously, "Get the people off the roads" is a terrible thing to do. I was horrified when visiting the US that when after following instructions to drive to a restaurant (from a rented apartment) I realised that allowing for mucking around in car parks, I could have got there just as quickly had the person giving the instructions told me to walk rather than drive, but, it being my first day there, I *assumed* the locals knew best.

For self driving cars, we need a mandatory "black box" accident recording system, which is independently engineered from the car manufacturer but which records sensor data, control inputs and all around 360 degree video. *Then* we can use that to help identify whether a cyclist, pedestrian, or someone driving an old fashioned manually driven car is at fault for doing something dangerous / suicidal, or whether there is a problem with the sensors or underlying software of a self driving vehicle. In the former case, one could easily argue that being hit by a fast moving vehicle is more than enough punishment.

In the case of a software fault being identified in a self driving car, it might mean a few million people having to drive themselves to work until a patch is agreed with the regulators...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019