Reply to post: Crashplan alternative

CrashPlan crashes out of cloudy consumer backup caper

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Crashplan alternative

I read the news last night but not received an email unless its gone to SPAM.

I run Crashplan on 3 machines, 2 Windows machines and an Ubuntu Server which I had to use the "unsupported" documented method on the Crashplan site to setup, it was a nightmare. I have stored about 500GB which took a long time with the connection I had when I initially signed up. I'm guessing I have 60 days not over a year before I lose my backups.

I have spent the last day looking at options and in my opinion Backblaze B2 using Duplicacy maybe my best option. B2 is different to the $5 a month option and more like S3/Glacier. Using Duplicacy to dedupe, compress and encrypt it. They have Mac and windows clients and a cross platform CLI version which is free for personal use. So anyone with Linux computers especially headless, this could be a good option.

One of the many things that appeals to me though is that you copy a backup between backends so if Backblaze decided to cut the option I use or I didn't like them, I could transfer the backups to another backend S3/Google Drive/etc...

Highlight of this option for me:

Linux & Windows CLI version (Mac too)

de-dupe

encrypted

copy to different backend storage providers

Similar price to Crashplan for the amount I store

No retention limit like regular Backblaze

Negatives:

More involved to setup (easier than my current headless Ubuntu setup though)

Not the best best documentation, example scripts would be good.

To be clear though I have not tested this yet, its just the conclusions I have come to and will be testing over the next couple of weeks before settling on this or something else. Just wanted to highlight that you can use a Backblaze service to backup for than 30 day retention and from a Linux machine just not with their $5 option.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019