Reply to post: And that, kids, is why I DO read them: but what about fake names?

Sorry, but those huge walls of terms and conditions you never read are legally binding

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

And that, kids, is why I DO read them: but what about fake names?

My work requires extreme awareness of what happens to data as I have a duty to protect clients.

This is why I read T&Cs and if you would have really worked your way through the ones that you, for instance, accepted when you started using Google and Facebook you would have never agreed to them.

There is, however, a question I have not seen answered yet: what happens if you use a fake name when you sign up? I know that both FB and Google "insist" on people using their real name but as long as you use something halfway plausible and don't use it for messaging/email you would have a contract in a name of a person that would not exist, I don't think there's such a concept as a legal nom de plume in contract. The flipside of these agreements is that the worst they can do there is to shut down your account. That's possibly bad for people who live their live online but it would make zero difference in my case.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon