Reply to post: Re: Client support, we've heard about it

Linux-loving lecturer 'lost' email, was actually confused by Outlook

Lee D Silver badge

Re: Client support, we've heard about it

"It's not my job to ensure you ******want to****** continue doing yours .."

"As a matter of fact, if you provide a support service of any kind (not just the IT), it is."

No, it's not. It's my job to ensure you CAN still continue doing yours.

But if your job suddenly requires you to do something, and you don't want to learn how to do it, there's nothing I can do about that, and it's not my job to try.

I can *MAKE* you do it. Possibly. I can certainly ensure you CAN do it. Obviously. But I cannot provide you the desire to bother to learn how to, or teach you if you DON'T want to learn how to.

Jobs evolve. Nobody today is doing the same job in the same way with the same tools as the guy who did it 10 years before them. Or the guy 10 years before that. Not even artisans. Run a pottery now? Oops. You're still covered by the latest health & safety legislation about hot appliances, fumes, personal protective equipment etc. You may not have been 10 years ago. You are now. So either a) the way you do things must have changed or b) your compliance with the way things MUST be done has changed (to non-compliance).

I agree this story has elements that are factors, but that's not what we were talking about.

Your job will change. Because my job will make me change it for you. It's as simple as that. You need to learn how to continue doing your job. If you do not WANT to, I can't do anything about that. It's still your job to learn how to, whether you like it or not.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019