Reply to post: Re: NI did it some time ago

Jocks' USO block shock: BT's 10Mbps proposals risk 'rural monopoly'

SImon Hobson Bronze badge

Re: NI did it some time ago

... there were companies setting up wireless links to groups of houses

Meanwhile, over here the government in a dramatic show of joined up thinking (that's sarcasm BTW) more or less killed off the wireless internet (and alternative cable) industry by way of business rates. IIRC, basically, they decided that someone with a radio mast must pay business rates on what the tower could potentially make in revenue if fully utilised to the maximum the technology permits - while not similarly crippling BT OR for it's poles and ducts.

Around here, we had radio offerings (initially done under government financing) which in places meant several masts to repeat a signal to a small (or even, single) user. Turning round and charging business rates on the basis that the tower providing service to one user as though that tower was servicing hundreds of users is a sure fire way to kill off the service.

And the estate my work office is on has manholes labelled Norweb Telecom because they (I assume with grants) put in ducting when the former ironworks was redeveloped. Vodafone (the current owners via a chain of acquisitions, Norweb Telecom -> Yourcomms -> Thus -> Clueless & Witless -> Vodamoan) have decided to abandon all these ducts (and the ability to provide direct fibre services without involving BT OR) - officially because they are clearing out "legacy" products, but I can't help thinking that the rates on the ducts used to support a very small number of users just doesn't make it worthwhile.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon