Reply to post: "Trump is clearly in the early stages of dementia."

President Trump to his council of industry CEO buddies: You're fired!

John Smith 19 Gold badge
Unhappy

"Trump is clearly in the early stages of dementia."

I can understand the appeal of this line of reasoning, I really can. It promises an end to his behavior and a return to sanity. It's a simple solution.

My old History teacher taught that you should always be very wary of people who offer simple solutions to difficult problems.

And blaming Trumps behavior on dementia is a simple solution. Let me suggest other reasons for his response to this situation.

a)They are part of his voter base, although his views may be a bit liberal for their tastes. Like this guy , Trump does not believe in laws, he believes in borders.

b) He lacks any empathy with others. The feelings normal people would feel at hearing of the events and their perpetrators simply don't exist in him. IOW his reaction to an advisor saying "Mr President you have to make a statement condemning this behavior by the alt-right" is "Why?"

Stalin said "One death is a tragedy, a million is a statistic," but that's not quite detached enough.

For the gated-community-raised-pre-school-bully-turned-construction-speculator one death is also a statistic. "I never met the the girl (although she's cute). I didn't know the girl and I'm never going to know her. Everything else is fake news," as the D might put it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon