Reply to post: Fully Automated Luxury Space Communism

Raising minimum wage will raise something else: An army of robots taking away folks' jobs

samzeman

Fully Automated Luxury Space Communism

There's a popular theory in certain far left spaces I've been in that when enough jobs are automated, we'll reach a critical mass where everything manufacturable and all services are low value enough to be free. Then, we'll enter a golden age of art, culture, and space exploration. Being able to fabricate or order any item, for free.

The thing is, if the robots self repair (It's possible) or are very easily repaired, and they do every job.... there's no need for money. If enough people are unemployed and earning a universal income, everybody earns the same, everybody can pay the same, and everything begins to get priced the same. Currency, in its current form, ceases to exist, and instead people get what they want, when they want it, because finally humans learn to bend their 30 trillion tons and counting of technology to satisfy everyone's needs instead of just the capitalists.

I don't advocate communism now. It's not practical. But it is, as far as I can see, inevitable. Eventually we'll have too many resources to limit them to just some people.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019