Reply to post: Re: Nazi is a slur anyway

Chap behind Godwin's law suspends his own rule for Charlottesville fascists: 'By all means, compare them to Nazis'

Lee D Silver badge

Re: Nazi is a slur anyway

I've said before, a million times.

After WWII, we should have renamed toilets "Nazis" and used the symbol of the swastika as the international symbol to indicate a toilet.

I wonder quite how many people would want to use the name / symbol and carry on idolising it then. I'm guessing quite a few.

Words are powerful. Holding "Nazi" as something special is a really bad idea, whether that's a special positivity or negativity. The same as the reason that some Tourette's sufferers swear - the words have been given special meaning, therefore priority in the brain, therefore more likely to be inappropriate (in the same way, swearing when you hurt yourself lessens the pain felt, whereas "darn" doesn't have the same effect no matter how loud you shout it).

Because of the "Voldemort" effect, we're surrounding by prats idolising the Nazis, their symbols, uniform, and other artifacts. I'm guessing they wouldn't be seen as quite so cool to emulate if 7 billion people took a shit on one every morning.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon